Deciding what to wear for a humid summers day at the Disney parks can be a challenge. You want to be comfortable enough to enjoy the rides, parades and shows, but presentable enough that you don’t look back at your holiday photos in horror! Joanne (@joanneuponatime) is here to share her top tips for dressing to impress at the Disney parks.
- My go‐to outfit for a hot day in the Disney parks is a cute dress. What better option could there be for twirling with Princesses, skipping down Main Street, and dining with Mickey Mouse himself? Whether you prefer to cover your arms or show a little leg, you can find a fit that works for you. I like to go for something with a bit of stretch so that I know I’ve got space for unlimited Mickey‐shaped snacks!
- Prioritise comfort and practicality when planning your outfit, make sure to consider comfort first and foremost. To avoid chaffing and to protect your modesty, I’d recommend wearing a thin pair of cycling shorts underneath your outfit. These are a real lifesaver with the amount of walking you’ll do! If you’re looking to avoid wardrobe malfunctions of any kind, playsuits are a great alternative to dresses. Just be warned, they can make toilet breaks a bit more complicated.
- Layer up – even in the hotter summer months, you’ll want to bring some layers. Disney loves their air conditioning, so it can get pretty cold inside. I’d recommend a thin and lightweight cardigan, jumper or jacket so that you can easily pack it in your bag without being weighed down by a bulky hoodie. Being prepared can save you from splashing out on emergency layers in the parks – though I do enjoy a spontaneous shopping trip!
- Be prepared for showers! Whether you’re visiting Paris or Florida, you never know when the weather will take a turn. Packing a lightweight waterproof jacket, poncho or umbrella might feel a bit silly in the height of summer, but you’ll thank me later! You’ll also want some waterproofing if you’re planning to take on Splash Mountain.
- Try Disneybounding. If you haven’t heard of Disneybounding, it’s where you use colourful clothing and accessories to dress like your favourite Disney characters. Disney has rules against adult park guests wearing costumes (unless it’s a special event), so this is the perfect way to let your inner‐child free. It can also make for some amazing meet and greet interactions and photos.
- Comfortable shoes – no matter the time of year, you’ll need to wear your comfiest shoes for a day at Disney. That means avoiding heels or pairs of shoes that need breaking in. If thunderstorms are on the cards, you can’t go wrong with a supportive pair of flip flops or sandals – something with a padded sole for extra comfort. It might not be the most fashion‐forward option, but no one wants to squelch their way around Fantasyland in a water‐logged pair of trainers!
- Don’t forget your bag! Money, phone, waterproofs… you’re going to need somewhere to keep all of those Disney Park essentials! A bag can make or break an outfit, and your day. For comfort and style, I love to use a Loungefly backpack. They’re deceivingly spacious and have lots of handy pockets, making it easy to whip out your phone and capture those precious memories. Loungefly have so many fun designs, you’re sure to find one that’ll add that final flourish to your outfit.
If you’ve read all of Joanne’s top tips for go-to outfits for the parks then why not start shopping to get your looks! Shop our clothing collection to find your perfect park piece… VeryNeko Clothing.